Trigger warning: we’ll be mentioning our personal politics in this post. We’ve been very careful to avoid disrespectful language, but you may disagree with our positions.
This is part of our 100 Things in 2016 challenge. Here’s the full list.
We’re Hillary Clinton voters. Among the other qualities we thought were desirable in a president, we also felt that she represented a better future for groups and causes that we care about deeply: racial, ethnic and religious minority groups, LGBT rights, and the looming threat of climate change. Whatever your personal politics, it doesn’t seem controversial to say that the new government will ignore or actively fight against these groups and causes.
We’ve done what we can for these causes politically: we voted. None of us is really suited to a career in politics, so that leaves our voices (which we intend to use) and our bank account. Last week we started sending a recurring monthly donation to the following organizations:
- Planned Parenthood, which provides healthcare to millions of women, especially those who are low-income
- The American Civil Liberties Union, which protects the constitutional rights of American citizens
- The Human Rights Campaign, which advocates for LGBT rights
- The Council on American-Islamic Relations, which advocates for the civil rights of muslims living in the US
- The NAACP, which works to “ensure a society in which all individuals have equal rights without discrimination based on race”
- The Natural Resources Defense Council, which works to avert climate change
- ProPublica, which funds great journalism and a strong press
We feel that those organizations will work to protect the rights and welfare of people we feel our new government will not protect, and advocate for action to avert or mitigate climate change, which is a threat bigger than political divisions.
If you’re reading this and can spare some cash, we highly encourage you to donate to a cause you believe in.
Pingback: 100 Things in 2016 | Band of Characters
Pingback: #14: Volunteer – Blessing Bags | Band of Characters
Pingback: #73: Donate Monthly to (more) Causes | Band of Characters
Pingback: #54: Add two more monthly causes | Band of Characters