My time is scarce. Between my day job, being a good partner and father, side projects, conferences, and of course the 100 Things, it’s sometimes hard to find time for a good book.
This is part of our 100 Things in 2016 challenge. Here’s the full list.
This year I made it a priority to read at least one book every month. That sounds like a pretty low bar, and it turns out it was – as of right now on December 15, I’ve completed 24 books! There’s a list below, but first a few notes.
- I decided to put my phone away and spend my last waking moments looking at a book or Kindle. This has helped me sleep better, and let me make better use of those last 15-30 minutes before I can’t keep my eyes open.
- I’m also counting the books I read aloud to Lucy and Will. It’s kind of a new thing for me to have three books going at a time, but it’s not as hard as it sounds, especially when two of them are at the 8- and 10-year-old level. Items 3, 5, 7, 9, 14, 15, 18, and 22 are in this category.
- You may also notice a series that I’m working on. I noticed the first book in the Game of Thrones series at a thrift store, and when Becky saw me looking at it she got this forlorn look in her eye and said, “if you’re going to read an epic fantasy series, it should be Wheel of Time, so I can talk to you about it!” It was a great suggestion; the books are really good, and now I’m almost halfway through the 14-book series.
- Several of these were consumed in audiobook form. For part of the year I had a long commute, and Becky and I took a couple of long car trips. This is perfect time for listening to a story! Items 1, 10, and 12 were “read” this way.
- The Fifth Wave
- The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time #1)
- Rasmus and the Vagabond
- The Opposite of Spoiled
- Kaspar the Titanic Cat
- The Gripping Hand
- Mr. Tucket
- The Martian
- The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time #2)
- Yes Please
- The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time #3)
- Hurry Home, Candy
- Malcolm at Midnight
- The Land I Lost
- Startupland (the story of Zendesk)
- The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time #4)
- The Fires of Heaven (Wheel of Time #5)
- Lord of Chaos (Wheel of Time #6)
- Tolliver’s Secret
- A Crown of Swords (Wheel of Time #7)
- Gentle Ben
Pingback: 100 Things in 2016 | Band of Characters